Resume - Richard B. Vershel
RiVer Process Development Services, LLC, Mooresville, NC, April 2007 - present
Independent contractor for process engineering services for a multitude of industries. Client
● Directed and implemented ISO 9001 compliant quality system for several companies in a variety
● Functioned as an On Demand engineer for various manufacturers (including adhesive, coating
and non-woven industries). Responsibilities include investigations and assessments of
equipment, as well as improving in process controls and statistical analyses.
● Provided Commission and Start up services for an on line monitoring equipment manufacturer.
● Specified and investigated the used equipment market for a variety of clients including integrating
components (unwind, coating head, dryer, and rewind) into a coating line.
● Performed internal audits for and ISO9001:2008 registered company (electronic parts).
3M/POLYMASK Corporation, Conover, NC, August 1997 – March 2007
Director of Quality and Process Engineering, January 2000 - March 2007
Senior Executive. Responsibilities include developing, commercializing and exploiting new
processes, leading scale up efforts for new products, improving manufacturing efficiencies and
savings, and directing Quality Department efforts. Accomplishments include:
● Facilitated numerous teams using various problem solving tools. Key results included realizing
incremental annual savings of over $1,000,000 in yield and inventory savings and reduced the
number of complaints by 30%.
● Improved all areas of the Quality Department including internal auditing and document control
while reducing headcount. Responsible for transitioning to ISO9001-2000.
● Led efforts on cost savings and throughput enhancement projects to achieve savings of over
$500,000 per year in sustainable savings.
● Developed new film which generated over $300,000 in new business in the 1st 18 months of its
product life cycle.
● Instituted and refined film supplier development programs – multiple sourcing of films, improve
suppliers on-time delivery to near 100%, reduced number of quality events (defective rolls), with
● Represented PolyMask in a Black Belt project to achieve $1MM in new customers for Clear UV
Process Development Manager, August 1997 – January 2000
Senior Executive. Responsibilities included developing, commercializing and exploiting new
processes, leading scale up efforts for new products, and improving manufacturing efficiencies and
savings. Accomplishments included:
● Led multi-disciplinary team to improve yields by over $1MM improvement.
● Developed 2 proprietary processes which resulted in annual savings of $300K and capacity
● Cross qualified product line so that each product could be run on at least 2 different coating lines
(improved customer service) while improving line speeds 33%.
● Exploited process quality tools to solve chronic process/process problems, improving
efficiencies and reduce scrap.
● Supported Company Wide Quality System upgrade to QS9000 rev 3.
ADHESIVES RESEARCH, Inc., Glen Rock, PA, September 1991 – July 1997
GMP and Process Manager, February 1994 – July 1997
Key responsibilities include new process development for Medical, Industrial and Repulp product
lines and setting GMP policy for CFR211 and CFR820. Accomplishments include:
● Developed numerous coating technologies resulting in over $3 MM annual sales.
● Used Experimental Design for Scaleup of new products/process resulting in over $1MM annual
● Trained all production workers on a monthly basis for GMPs.
● Interfaced with numerous customers regarding new processes, FDA audits and production
Process Engineer, September 1991 - February 1994
Key responsibilities included introducing new technology with subsequent development for
Medical, Industrial and Repulp product lines resulting in increased process capabilities and
productivity. Accomplishments included:
● Led a cross functional team that scaled up a monolithic transdermal patch. Responsibilities
included budget preparation, customer interface, safety coordination, technology design/purchase,
startup, and production training.
● Developed processes including pilot polymerization reactor, milling, Nitrogen inerting for UV
curing, various coating techniques, and new coating lines (both GMP and non-GMP)
AKROSIL, Division of International Paper, Lancaster, OH, August 1990 – May 1991
Managed day to day production of a team concept siliconized paper plant. Accomplishments
● Reduced accident incident rate by over 75% while maintaining no LTAs. Company wide rates
● Decreased production variances by 20% with a decrease of customer complaints.
● Moved plant to a 7 day, 4 shift operation from a 5 day, 3 shift operation.
AVERY, Base Materials Division, Monrovia, CA January 1983 – July 1990
Engineering Manager, January 1989 – July 1990
Managed all engineering and maintenance for a plant which manufactured coatings and
coated/laminated material. Supervised three engineers, a maintenance supervisor, and indirectly
supervised thirteen skilled employees.
● Led emission reduction program which resulted in a 59% reduction in emissions and over $1MM
cost avoidance. Reduced emissions such that the plant moved from 4th largest emitter to drop out
of the top 20 in less than 2 years.
● Planned capital budget with a successful consistent annual 98%+ spending rate for 5 years.
Project Engineering Manager, September 1985 - January 1989
Managed all engineering and capital budget with program responsibility for cost improvement,
regulatory compliance and energy management. Supervised two engineers and a drafter.
Process Engineer, January 1983 – August 1985
Winner of various awards including the first annual Avery Label Process Engineering Award.
ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL, Energy Systems Group, Richland, WA
Process Engineer, June 1981 – August 1982
Critiqued two proprietary codes for a project that involved deep underground storage of nuclear
waste. Performed startup and troubleshooting for a new facilities concentrating nuclear waste.